Contact The Lodge
- Address: 23 Ester Street Greensborough VIC
- Contact: WBro. Brian Bennett, PM
- Phone: 0418 347 273
- Email: email@example.com
- Lodge Number: 259
- Meeting – 1st Thursday of the month at 7.30 pm ( January no meeting)
- Rehearsal – 4th Monday
- Installation – July
About The Lodge
Killara Lodge was founded in 1990 by the joining of three Lodges, Leamington 259, Princes Hill Lodge 294 and Preston St George 322. They held their first meeting at the Bell Street Preston Masonic Centre.
Plenty Lodge 375 affiliated with Killara at the July meeting in 1994. On the closing of various Lodges, members have transferred to Killara, most notably those from St. Luke 496.
The Name ‘Killara' is an Aboriginal word meaning, ‘the meeting of three rivers'. In 2007 it was decided to move to the Greensborough Masonic Centre.
Over the years Killara Lodge has been involved in the Salvation Army Red Shield Appeal raising in excess of $1,000,000. Some of its members are also involved in the running of the Berry Street Homes for disadvantaged children, organising fund raising by running concerts, but also physically with assisting with maintenance to their buildings. Similarly, the Whittlesea Branch of the Helping Hand Association is another organisation that is actively supported on a continuing basis, as is the Scouting movement.
From the founding of the three primary lodges in 1920/3 many Killara Lodge members have contributed in various ways. A most notable early member was O.J. Nilsen, who was initiated in 1912 into the North Suburban Lodge No. 112 and was a foundation member of Princes Hill in 1921. He was Worshipful Master in 1924 and appointed Director of Ceremonies in 1928 until 1952. In 1916 he established the famous electrical business Oliver J. Nilsen & Co. and was on the State Electricity Supply Committee for thirty years. In February 1925 he was granted the first commercial Radio License in Victoria 3UZ, today called radio Sport 927. He was elected to the Melbourne City Council in 1934, serving as Lord Mayor in 1951/2 and in 1956 he was awarded a CBE.
Currently Killara Lodge has several members of note. Among them is WBro. Peter Rutley O.A.M. Peter is the Regional Scout Commissioner for the Plenty Valley Region, covering an area of 400 square kilometres, including the following Councils; Moreland, Darebin, Hume, Banyule, Nillumbik, Whittlesea, Mitchell, Strathbogie, and Murrindindi. He is currently in charge of 372 Leaders and over 2000 youth members. He has recently accepted further responsibility as Commissioner of Camp Sites throughout Victoria, and is also very active for Berry Street.
Killara Lodge has an active Social Club which not only organises social and charitable activities, but has always catered for the lodge, thanks to its ladies. A tradition dating back from the early days is the maintenance of an active choir, which not only assists in the ceremonies of the Lodge, but also regularly entertains in the South, especially at Christmas meetings. Grand Organist, Roger Manderson dazzles audiences with his piano recitals and the choir entertains at other Lodges also.
Killara Lodge is well known as a friendly and hospitable Lodge which heartily welcomes visitors, and also has reciprocal visits with several Lodges including Lodge Liberation No. 674 and Stewart Lodge of St. Arnaud No.61.