Contact The Lodge
- Address: 60 Learmonth Street Queenscliff VIC
- Contact: WBro. Dick Clark, PGIWkgs
- Phone: 0400 553 939
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lodge Number: 96
- Meeting – 2nd Wednesday of each month at 7:30pm
- Rehearsal – 1st & Last Wednesday
- Installation – September
About The Lodge
One of the oldest Lodges in Victoria, the first meeting of the Cosmopolitan Lodge was in Queenscliff in 1883.
With a colourful history, the meeting place in the early days was St Georges Church of England Grammar School, more commonly referred to as the Sunday School (The rent was 9 pounds per year). Many members fought in wars throughout the 20th Century. The commanding officer of the Royal Australian Artillery at Fort Queenscliff – LTCOl C.E. Umphileby died of wounds at the Boer War in South Africa and a minute is recorded in memory of Brother Charles E Umphileby killed in action.
The Lodge is ingrained in the community and plays an important part in volunteering and supporting charitable organisations throughout the Bellarine Peninsula and beyond, with projects including:
• Seafood Feast Busking for Kids in aid of Royal Children's Hospital
• Cottage by the Sea
• Leukaemia foundation
• Bellarine SES
• Barwon Health
• Motor Neurone Disease Foundation
• Queenscliff Sea Scouts
• Cystic Fibrosis
• Salvation Army Red Shield Appeal
• Health & Wellbeing Community forums over the last 5 years with 2012 Breast Awareness Forum on 24th October 2012
• The Lodge was awarded the community Service Award Australia Day 2012 for Men & Women's Health and Wellbeing forum in 2011
• Queenscliff Point Lonsdale Junior Citizens Award for year 6 Children at the 3 Primary Schools within the Borough of Queenscliff
• Blokes Day Out
Progressive, friendly and inclusive, the Lodge celebrated its 125 anniversary in 2008 and the September 2012 Installation marked the commencement of the Lodge's 129th year. There are social events throughout the year including:
• Non-ceremonial meeting in December in which the partners/wives/girlfriends are invited along with friends who are not Freemasons.
• Midyear a fund raising event is held for Freemasons and non-Freemasons.
• Cheese and wine tasting evening.
With its proud history and tradition, the “Lodge Down by the Sea” has a banner that bears the motto “STATIO TUTTISIMA NAUTIS” which translated means “I stand for the safety of seaman”. The banner features a sailing frigate and a lighthouse and is identical to the Queenscliffe Borough Council seal. On several occasions Grand Lodge requested the banner for use in their Installation of the Most Worshipful Grand Master at the Melbourne Town Hall.